ART & DESIGN PROGRESSION MAP – click here
Welcome to Art and Design at Highfield!
As a school, we believe that art lessons should be engaging, experimental and give all the children the opportunity to express themselves. To achieve this, we follow an innovative creative curriculum that incorporates cross-curricular and creative Art teaching.
During art lessons, every child is given the opportunity to experiment and use a variety of different materials, including sketching pencils, printing inks, spray paint, fabric and pastel. Our curriculum also encourages children to enhance their art skills to ensure a steady progression of skills and knowledge throughout their school life.
National Curriculum Outlines
For further details on the Art national curriculum please follow this link: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/239018/PRIMARY_national_curriculum_-_Art_and_design.pdf
As a school we believe that it is important to showcase the children’s artwork within the school environment. We are proud of the artwork the children have created and have many beautiful art displays within our school.
Every room at Highfield has been given an artist’s name. The children have chosen a wide range of different artists, both male and female and from all parts of the world. Throughout the year, children will learn about these artists and get the opportunity to create artwork inspired by their class artist.
Different Art Clubs run throughout the school year – after school and at lunchtime.
Things to try at home!
Daytrips to Art Galleries:
- Camden Arts Centre has free ‘make and do’ art workshops for children every Sunday.
- Many art galleries including the Tate Modern, Tate Britain and The National Portrait Gallery are free to visit and hold special workshops for families.
Art and Craft Activities:
- Crystal Names: Mixing Science and Art, bend pipe cleaners into letters to spell your name and watch them grow into crystals overnight in a borax solution.
- Nail Polish Marble Art: Put those old forgotten nail varnishes to good use and use them as another art material that children can paint with!
- Artsy Collages: Recycle those old magazines and allow children to cut out their favourite images to create stunning collages filled with things that interest them!