- By the end of Year 6 the progress made by Pupil Premium children at Highfield is in the top 10% of the country in Reading, Writing and Combined. It is in line with national in Maths.
- Pupil Premium children’s attainment is in line with their in school peers and in line with that of their peers nationally in Reading, Writing, Maths and Combined.
What is Pupil Premium funding?
Pupil Premium funding is given to schools so that they can support their disadvantaged pupils and close the attainment gap between them and their peers. In the year 2015-2016, 189 children at Highfield received Pupil Premium funding of £1320 per child and 2 Looked After Children received £1900
Currently the number of children eligible for Pupil Premium funding this academic year stands at 163 including 2 Looked After Children.
At Highfield we ensure that all teachers are aware of and accountable for their pupil premium children. Rigorous monitoring and tracking of progress and attainment allows us to provide suitable interventions and opportunities that best match the needs of the individual child.
A specifically designated team has been put in place to ensure provision that will accelerate children’s progress allowing us to diminish the difference in attainment between pupil groups.
To we have implemented the following initiatives:
- The recruitment and management of a Pupil Premium support team responsible for delivering interventions and accelerating progress beginning at those in EYFS
- The appointment of subject specialist teachers who have worked alongside staff.
- Provision of curriculum enrichment opportunities across Physical Education, Healthy lifestyles, Art, Music and Information Technology have been implemented and include subsidised extra curricular activities aimed at challenging the most able children and increasing extra curricular participation.
- The appointment of a resident poet who has raised the profile of Poetry at Highfield. Disadvantaged pupils have won Regional and National poetry competitions and appeared in the national press. The school has also compiled a book and made a film which is being launched nationally.
- Strategies to improve the self esteem and resilience